Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April 6, 2011

Cashmere = Kash~

I am paying extra attention to the last 10 days of my 49th year. Each day is an opportunity for reflection, honoring the past, and celebrating where I am in this moment. I am celebrating today and my daughter, Kash.

My husband's daughter, Kash, has been visiting us this week. Kash is short for Cashmere, with a "K" rather than a "C" so no one confuses the meaning with something substandard like "cash". Kash is Cashmere. Any woman lucky to own a few sweaters made of 100% cashmere will know what I am talking about.  Luxuriant wool, a silken feel and feather-light weight that feels incredible against the skin. Cashmere's appreciable status makes it highly desirable.

Yet, cashmere hails from humble beginnings. Cashmere is the wool or fur from the Kashmire goat. My daughter, too, came from humble beginnings adopted by two loving parents who were unable to have a child of their own. Her story is bittersweet, and her journey has not been an easy one. I've been careful; knowing deeply that this young woman did not need one more disappointment or heartache in her life.

I've waited four years for this luxuriant cashmere to wrap herself around my shoulders. Yesterday, she gave me an orchid for my birthday. In her card, she said:

"I got you an orchid because it resembles me because it is delicate to touch and sensitive to what's around me and if you water me too much ("stress") I'll die. So, please, keep this orchid alive, give it a few ice cubes once a week and a little sunshine and everything will be alright."

I will care for this orchid with all my heart. And each time I gaze upon this orchid, I will be reminded of Kash, and how the wait has been well worth it.

No comments: