Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011

The Agony of Defeat~

The power of the mind is truly something to be hold. Andy and I have been following the Masters for the past four days, inspired by the brilliant playing of Rory McIlroy, just twenty-one years old. He led all three rounds, until today.  He was the leader through 10, and then fell apart.

This is when the 5 inches between the ears came into play!

We agonize and empathize for this young man. The pressure on him has been unbelievable. He had a moment when he crumbled on his driver, knowing it was all over.

This game of golf humbles you like no other game I've played. One moment you are striking the ball perfectly, and then the next you are watching the "stupid" little ball dribble 80 yards to the left (that was your drive)!

The way a golfer plays the game reveals much about who s/he really is.  Conduct is paramount.

A Zen student went for an interview with his master.The studnet said, "I know this may require a very lengthy and complex answer, but I request guidelines for conducting myself wherever I am, so that my attitude and behavior are always excellent."
The master said, "Actually, the answer is quite brief and simple: In every situation, conduct yourself as if your five-year old child were watching you."

Rory, your five year old will be proud of you (when you have one)! I, on the other hand,  have a lot of work to do!

No comments: