Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Monday, April 18, 2011

April 18, 2011

"Who does that?"

My daughter is a rule follower. I am not! I'm not sure how I raised this child, nor am I going to take credit. She is special.

So, a few days before she flew off to Indiana to surprise her friends at prom, Zoe "asked" me if it was ok for her to "party" on prom night.

"Who does that?

I am acknowledging the parent quandry here. I appreciate her being honest. I really do. But, she is also asking me permission to break the law. What is a mother to do? Especially one who grew up in the sixties and seventies. It was much different then! We didn't ask permission. Heck, we hid, snuck, lied, and prayed that our parents were intoxicated themselves.

I love my daughter's honesty. I love the fact that she assured me that she was in a safe haven, would be careful, and had the best of friends looking out for her.

I'm not comfortable with the implicit permission. But,  I treasure the fact that we have such an open relationship. And I admire the honesty and lack of deceit in my daughter that certainly was not present in me at her age.

Better to sleep in awareness than ignorance~

No comments: