Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23, 2011

Hummingbirds~
We stayed in Estes park last night at a hotel situated on the main river that winds itself  through the town. One of the workers showed Zoe and I a hummingbird's nest built into the lodge. We tried to photograph her on her nest. Unfortunately, we scared her. That's a picture of her quite agitated at us!

Hummingbirds are so fascinating. Did you know hummers have to eat one-half their weight in food every day? Their wings beat 70 beats per second in a figure eight pattern and they weigh less than half an ounce. Their tongues are twice as long as their bills, and furry on the tip, so that they can absorb as much nectar as possible to feed their incredibly high metabolism.

Imagine if we had to eat one half our weight?

Actually, it might be kind of fun!


We were able to capture her nesting. It's a bit fuzzy, but you can see how tiny the nest is


Our adventure reminded me of when I was in my early twenties and renting my first home. Somehow, a hummingbird had flown into the house. She was pecking at the window trying to get out. I spoke really softly trying to assure her that she would be free soon. Of course, the window wouldn't open. But, this incredibly tiny creature let me scoop her up in my hands and I was able to free her.


A long ago memory resurrected as Zoe and I tried to capture the beauty of the hummingbird~

No comments: