Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011

Milestones~

One's 18th birthday is a milestone. Anxiously awaited by most teenagers as it signifies the beginning of adulthood. Zoe had 5 friends over on the 9th and they stayed up until 3:15am to celebrate the moment she was born.

How fun!

How does a parent make the 18th year one to remember? If you are a regular reader, you may recall that I blogged about my first love who crafted a beautiful handmade wooden jewelry box with a love note hidden in a secret compartment. Zoe's birthday present was the jewelry box, and inside was my wedding ring on a gold chain. I wanted to hand down and give her the precious moments of my past; a symbol of true love and a symbol of the union that created her. She cried. And, I knew that Zoe completely "got" it.

Her brother Max drove down from St. Augustine to celebrate with us. He, too, is experiencing a milestone; living on his own and learning how difficult it is to find a job in this market. Last month, he stocked up on dry goods to get him through while he hunted for a job. He's still hunting! He calmly told me how he was down to rice, beans, and Ramen Noodles. He was saving his one egg for something special.

Are you kidding me?

His Wal-mart cart was FULL. He would take one of something, and I would toss in three more of the same. Starving is not what I had in mind when I told him, "Get a job, or you are coming home". He will also be hauling home fresh vegetables, fruit, milk, eggs and cheese.

What kind of mother am I? Then he told me, in the middle of Wal-Mart, and I started to cry.

"I feel like I am taking care of the 'lost boys' (referring to his friends) in Peter Pan. I had no idea how much I knew, and how independent I am. You did a great job raising me mom. Thanks." And then my 6 foot 2 inch, wonderful son, bear hugs me in the middle of the aisle.

It has been a year of milestones for me. This particular day has been particularly sweet.

No comments: