Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Monday, May 2, 2011

May 2, 2011

The death of Osama Bin Laden~

Why are we celebrating? The wars continue --the bloodshed, the mayhem, and loss of innocent life. We have killed one man. Is the death of Osama bin Laden going to bring back all the lives lost in the last ten years? Is his death going to end the ceaseless cycles of violence we witness daily? Is his death going to end terrorism?

No~

I am bothered by the scenes of celebration in the streets – people are cheering and drinking champagne. I’m sorry, but I feel somber and reflective. While I absolutely do not condone terrorism, and I understand that “justice” needed to be served, I think we walk a very gray line when we begin justifying and celebrating an “eye for an eye” mentality.

Emails are coming into CNN now about what we do next. And, what do you think is being said? “Kill the Mexican Cartels ….” Do you see the issue? When does it end? How does violence end violence?

After 9/11, we retaliated with a vengeance and declared a “war on terror” and bombed Iraq. How many American soldiers have been killed? How many Iraqis and innocent civilians? Is Osama’s death going to heal the wounds inflicted by this violence? I don’t think so.

I wish everyone on TV would just be quiet. Why can we not go into a time of silence, a time of remembrance, and prayer. Our prayer should be for the end of violence, within ourselves and in others.

As long as we relish in the death of another –any “other” – we will not be free~

No comments: