Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 15, 2011

Open the Floodgates~

Due to the worst flooding in 40 years, the decision was made to open the floodgates to protect the larger cities of Baton Rouge and New Orleans along the Mississippi River.  I was struck this morning by the reaction of those whose homes will be destroyed. We are talking about 25,000 people and at least 11,000 buildings.

And how are they reacting?

"We love the river. We knew the risk and we knew this was possible. It was worth the risk." And then I watched the images of people loading up their valuables on boats, others packing their cars and trailers, and leaving to higher ground. I did not sense resentment, or defeat, but a quiet, reflective acceptance of Nature and the choice to live on the river.

One commentator said, "You have to cut the thumb off to save the hand." I immediately thought of the wonderful, true story, I just watched, entitled 127 Hours. This young man broke his arm, and then cut through his arm with a dull blade to free himself from the boulder that held him pinned in the canyon.

When we are faced with our very survival...flood waters or a massive boulder pinning our arm, we are called to rise beyond our wildest imaginings. What would you do?

I don't know~

I have never been in this kind of perilious position before, but I would like to think that I could graciously leave my home or cut my arm off to continue to live this glorious life.

No comments: