Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011

The Gift of Sisterhood~

The following is a beautifully written piece by a guest blogger - thank you Francesca!


"God gave us memories so that we might have roses in December.".....James M. Barrie

As the years go by, I more and more appreciate the power of sisterhood. I lost my only sibling, my sister, at the age of 23 in a car accident. I've often been envious of those who have brothers and sisters, but in their place I've been blessed with many sisters of the heart and spirit. As I reflect back over the years, dear faces float before me and remind me of the love and strength each brought to my life.

Miss Carnes, my third grade teacher who validated me and gave me the confidence to be creative by praising and acknowledging my poetry. Then I see the smiling face of Gladys, who became my "mother" when my sister died. I was a young, married woman of 24, with two children struggling to survive while my husband was in college. I was far away from my own mother by miles and emotionally as a result of her own grief. Gladys was 65, a busy farm woman and a mother of an adult, mentally challenged son. But she embraced me with her love and compassion, and gave me hope and confidence in the difficult time of my grief.

When I reflect on my life, these are just two of so many women who have influenced my life. Sadly, there are those who impacted my life whose names I have forgotten, but I carry their imprint in my life nevertheless.

For the special women in my life today, and for all remembered and those forgotten, I am filled with gratitude for their gift of sisterhood!

Francesca

No comments: