Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12, 2011

The power of prayer and intention~

It is hard for me to wrap my mind around a 30 foot high wave speeding forward at 500 miles an hour. The impact of this force of Nature has been captured in the footage we repeatedly watch in the news as coverage continues after this devasting earthquake and subsequent Tsunami.

Just like 9/11, the Tsunami of 2004, the earthquake in Haiti, and now this recent event, I must turn away from the images. At some point, it becomes overwhelming. The quiet recognition of the comfort in my life, the sun shining, the health of myself, family and friends arises and I am both thankful and sad. The knowledge and gratitude of not being the victim of such a horrific event is bittersweet.

So, I pray. It keeps my balance.

I pray for those who are suffering all over the world; in the Middle East, in Japan, in Haiti,in our backyards where children are being beaten to death by their own parents, and for my friends and family who struggle with their own pain and challenges. And, I know that my prayers, along with the millions upon millions of other simultaneous prayers, float out into the ethers and create an intention of healing, peace, and well-being in the midst of the suffering, inexplicable acts of Nature, and the unconscionable acts of terror and brutality that we inflict upon each other in the name of being "right".

I cannot control or stop the suffering. I cannot undo the earthquake, or the damage of the Tsunami. I cannot wave my magic wand and dissolve cancer or Alzheimer's. But, I can pray, and send the intention of healing into the world, knowing that the power of love will, if not erase the suffering, buffer and support those most in need.

No comments: