Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 5, 2011

Welcome Home~

It feels like I've been away forever; nine days in fact. I couldn't wait to get home to my family and feel the sun on my back.

The welcoming I received filled me with such joy. Red roses and a card, alstramerium fixed in little vases placed in almost every room, a clean house, my daughter Zoe smiling from ear to ear, and my husband, Andy, who just kept hugging me and saying "I missed you".

What a blessing.

Today will be a day of transitioning; of re-integrating back into my life, and simultaneously keepng abreast of mom's progress and supporting my dad in his caregiving role. I am amazed at our capacity to hold both joy and sorrow. Life is bittersweet. Very rarely is it all sweet or all bitter.

It is the holding of the two realities with compassion and openness, and allowing ourselves to flow back and forth, that is the challenge. I watched my mother experience extreme pain and fear one minute, and then flow into a relaxed, calm, smiling state the next. She had forgotten the pain that quickly.

She is my teacher. I am learning from her how to ride this bittersweet wave.

No comments: