Mind, Body, Spirit Connections

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Spiritual Guidance~


"Happiness is not what makes us grateful. It's gratefulness that makes us happy.."



~David Steindl-Rast
 
It has been a difficult week since learning of the sudden, and unexpected death, of a Sugar Mill friend. The sorrow and heartache I feel  lies heavy in my heart.  And, I've had trouble sleeping. I keep thinking about Ralph and his wife Jill, who I play golf with on Tuesdays. I want to hold her and absorb some of her pain like a mother naturally does with her child. 
 
On another level, Ralph's death has triggered the "snap around" I've written about. Rather than squealching, I am letting these emotions flow through me. My dreams are vivid indicators of how my psyche is processing the soup of grief, fear, anger, sadness, and shock.
 
In the early morning, before rising, I let the dreams fade and move into my prayers of gratitude. For life will always present us with our challenges, and death (expected or unexpected) is an inevitable part of life. We have only this moment to live fully, deeply from the heart and with gratitude.

No comments: